The Death Of Vincent Foster

Miquel Rodriguez

ACCURACY IN MEDIA - Reed Irvine, Chairman

July 17, 1997 


As the fourth anniversary of the death of Associate White House Counsel
Vincent W. Foster, Jr. approached, Ken Starr finally ended pretense that
he has been seriously investigating Foster's death since January 1995.
That was when Miquel Rodriguez, a young prosecutor hired by Starr,
launched the first and only grand jury probe of Foster's death. 

Rodriguez studied the evidence collected by previous investigations, one
by the U.S. Park Police, one by Independent Counsel Robert B. Fiske, Jr.
and a third by the U.S. Senate Banking Committee. He saw that the Park
Police had violated the rule that a violent unattended death must be
investigated as a possible homicide until sufficient evidence is gathered
to rule out that possibility. Park Police Sgt. John Rolla, who was
assigned to investigate the crime scene at Fort Marcy Park because he was
new on the job and needed experience, told the Senate Banking Committee
that he was aware of that rule. He said he ignored it because in this case
it was so clear to everyone that it was a suicide. 

It was not clear to Richard Arthur, a paramedic, who was one of the first
persons to see Foster's body. Arthur told Senate investigators he had
dealt with perhaps 30 gunshot cases and "quite a few" were suicides. He
thought Foster's death was a homicide. He described the scene as "weird."
The body was on a steep slope, lying perfectly straight, as if ready for a
coffin. He wondered how the gun could have ended up partially tucked under
the victim's right leg. He saw what appeared to be a small-caliber bullet
wound in the neck, too small to have been made by that gun. He thought it
unlikely that anyone would seek out this out-of-the-way spot, and "sit
down in all this shrubbery and shoot himself." 

Nevertheless, the Park Police conducted no serious investigation of
Foster's death. They officially ruled it a suicide before they had the gun
tested to see if it would fire. The fact that the gun found in Foster's
hand was not one of the two handguns that he owned and kept in his
Washington home did not bother them. When his clothing was checked nine
months later, the FBI found carpet fibers, blond hair and semen on his
underwear. Those may have been important clues, but they were not

The Park Police found Foster's eyeglasses thirteen feet in front of his
body. The FBI found a speck of gunpowder on them, indicating they had been
on or near Foster's head when the fatal shot was fired. No one has come up
with a plausible explanation of why the glasses flew so far if Foster shot

The FBI Crime Lab also noticed a bloodstain on the right side of Foster's
face that showed that his head had rested on his bloodied right shoulder
at some point. But he had been found lying face-up. When was the head
moved and who moved it are questions never answered. 

There was no mess. No bone, brain tissue or blood was spattered on the
vegetation, and very little blood was visible on the body or the ground
even though Foster had supposedly put a .38 revolver in his mouth and
blown his brains out. 

Robert Fiske's team of FBI agents was no better than the Park Police at
explaining away the evidence that undermined their claim that Foster shot
himself in the park. They tried to manipulate the evidence to fit their
conclusions. For example, they said Mrs. Foster had recognized the
revolver found in Foster's hand, even though it was blue/black and old and
she was talking about a modern silver gun. 

Miquel Rodriguez knew there was no basis for Sgt. Rolla's claim that
Foster's death was such an obvious suicide that no homicide investigation
was necessary. Even though he had been given to understand that Starr
wanted the case wrapped up quickly, he began to investigate it by the
book--as a possible homicide. Park Police were called before the grand
jury. They were grilled so aggressively that they protested, demanding to
know if they were targets of the probe. Soon after, Rodriguez was reined
in. Rather than be a party to what he viewed as another coverup, he
resigned and returned to Sacramento in March 1995. That appears to have
ended the first and last effort to investigate Foster's death as a
possible homicide. 

Subsequently, Starr spent seven weeks futilely combing Fort Marcy Park for
the bullet that killed Foster. Why? He needed a bullet to prove that
Foster died there. But he refused to exhume Foster's body, a measure urged
by those who want to find out why the autopsy X-rays vanished and whether
or not Richard Arthur really saw a neck wound. 

The consultant who insisted on the search for the bullet, has said he did
not recommend exhumation because he knew Starr opposed it. Why? It might
prove Miquel Rodriguez was on the right track. That would humiliate Starr
and his team. It would also embarrass the tame journalists who refuse to
study the mass of available evidence and dismiss those who do as
"conspiracy theorists." 

Back To The Top.

Back To The Political Page.

Back To The Foster Page.

Mail to:

drupal statistics