Patrick Knowlton's Witness Tampering Report

Comments from Knowlton's attorney.

   The Report is available to the public for $23.95. Orders may be phoned
   to (202) 332-3030 or mailed to
                        John H. Clarke
                        1730 K Street, NW
                        Suite 304
                        Washington, DC  20006   


Witnessed: Events at Fort Marcy Park July 20, 1993, within 60 minutes of the discovery of the body of Deputy White House Counsel Vincent Foster

Witness: Patrick J. Knowlton

Proceeding & Prosecutor: Washington, DC Federal Grand Jury Investigating Whitewater and related matters,

Kenneth W, Starr, Office of independent Councel

Criminal violations:
(1) Title 18 United States Code, Section 1512, Tampering with witness; and
(2) Title 42 United States Code, Section 1985 (2) Obsructing justice; intimidation of witness

Dates of criminal violations: October 26 & 27, 1995

Jurisdiction: District of Columbia

Written by: Patrick J. Knowlton & Law Offices John H. Clarke, Washington, DC


On July 20, 1993, the day Vincent Foster died, Patrick Knowlton was in Fort Marcy Park for five minutes. Knowlton saw only two cars in the parking lot. Neither belonged to Vincent Foster. Seated in one of these cars was a lone man. The man gave Knowlton a constant threatening stare. As Knowlton got out of his car, the man also got out of his car. Knowlton walked into the park headed in the opposite direction from where Foster's body was found, whereupon the man got back in his car. Thus the man's behavior was consistent with his acting as a lookout, as if his purpose was to prevent any passers-by from venturing into the area of the park where Vincent Foster' s corpse was found 60 minutes later.


In October 1995, investigative journalist Ambrose Evans- Pritchard ("Pritchard") contacted and interviewed Knowlton. Pritchard showed Knowlton recently declassified FBI reports of Knowlton's statements to the FBI agents given 18 months earlier. The reports misrepresented Knowlton's statements on several important points.

On October 22, 1995, Pritchard's article of Knowlton's account of his experience at Fort Marcy Park was published. The article reported that when Pritchard showed Knowlton the FBI reports, Knowlton stated that "his statements have been falsified." A police artist's composite sketch of the man who gave Knowlton a "threatening look" accompanied the article. The article also reported that the Office of Independent Counsel under Kenneth Starr (Fiske's successor) had shown little interest in Knowlton's account, and that Knowlton had never been asked to testify before the Washington, DC, grand jury.

Four days after the article was published, on Thursday, October 26, 1995, at 10:30 a.m., Knowlton received a subpoena to testify the following Wednesday, November 1, before the Washington, DC, grand jury investigating Whitewater and related matters, including the death of Vincent Foster. Beginning that same day, October 26, 1995, a bizarre series af events began to unfold. During the time Knowlton spent in public that Thursday and Friday, 25 or more men followed him, and walked towards him, or came from behind, and gave him purposeful , intimidating, timed, threatening looks. Knowlton suffered four more similar incidents during the next six days. The harassment was obviously orchestrated by people with considerable resources who knew the route of Knowlton's routine walk...


Thursday evening, October 26, 1995:

Suspect 6 - about one minute later - same man as Suspect 2l

Description: White male. Approximately 6'4", 225 lbs, mid-40s. Clean shaven, light-colored hair, light-colored eyes, clear complexion, physically fit, beige baseball cap, beige jacket, wire-rim glasses, dark blue jeans, white sneakers.

Patrick and Kathy were walking north on Connecticut Avenue towards Q Street when Patrick noticed Suspect 6 standing at Q Street and Connecticut Avenue, standing military "at-ease" style, staring directly at them. As they approached the corner, the man focused a glare at Patrick's face. As they reached the corner, the man pivoted on one foot, keeping his military-type stance, all the while glaring at Patrick's head. Kathy and Patrick crossed the street against the light. The man followed behind Patrick, at a distance of about three feet.

While walking the length of the block, Patrick periodically looked back. [At about the middle of the block, Patrick and Kathy noticed Suspect 7.] Suspect 6 continued to follow, at a distance of about three feet as they walked toward R Street. [As they approached the intersection, Suspect 8 crossed R Street, walking directly towards Patrick while glaring constantly at him.] Patrick and Kathy approached the intersection of R Street and Connecticut Avenue. When Suspect 6 was about eight feet away from Patrick and Kathy, he veered to the right of them, while continuing to glare. Suspect 6 then again assumed the military- type "at-ease" stance. The contact with Suspect 6 lasted approximately four minutes.

Patrick's reaction: I asked Kathy If the guy was staring just at me or at her too. She said that it was only me. As we approached, I realized he was staring at me. I became very nervous. It was then that It occured to me that it may have something to do with the subpoena I received that morning. As he followed us against the light, my legs became rubbery, and I thought we were in trouble. As we walked, we discussed trying to remember what everyone was wearing and what they looked like.


Thursday afternoon, November 2, 1995:

Suspect # 27
Description: Male, Middle Eastern features. Approximately 5'8", 160 Ibs, 30s. Short, black neatly-cut hair, dark eyes, clear complexion, mustache, carrying black canvas bag open at the top, black-rimmed glassis, army issue green three-quarter length coat, light beige pants, black shoes.

At about 3:30 p.m., Patrick went down to the lobby of his apartment building. As he exited the elevator, he noticed a man standing outside the building with his back to the building. As Patrick walked toward the front door, another tenant entered, and the man followed into Patrick's building. As soon as the man made eye contact with Patrick, he became startled, and immediately turned around, walked out the door, and stood looking at the newspaper box to the left of the entrance with his back to Patrick. With his back to the building, he took short steps, side to side, as if he was nervous.

Patrick walked out the door, turned right, walked about 20 feet, looked back and saw the man walking behind him about 15 Feet slightly to his left. Patrick continued about another 80 feet to the corner to another newspaper box. As he retrieved the paper, he looked up and to his left, and saw the man looking down and reaching into his bag with his right hand. The man looked up, made eye contact with Patrick, and quickly pulled his hand out of the bag and dropped the bag to his side.

Seconds after Patrick started walking toward his building, they walked past each other. About ten feet after they passed, Patrick looked behind him and saw the man standing on the corner looking back at Patrick.

Patrick then turned around and walked toward the man. The man turned and ran. He ran diagonally across 24th Street, across K Street, and onto Washington Circle.

Patrick's reaction: As the man reached Into his bag, I was scared. I thought he was reaching for a gun. Then the fear turned into anger. I felt fed-up and decided to confront the guy. I thought if the guy was going to shoot me, he better shoot me. When he ran away, the reality of being in danger sunk In, and the anger turned back to fear.




From the time the police sketch artist's composite of that man was published on October 22, 1995, it became public knowledge that Knowlton could identify the man who appeared to be acting as a lookout 80 minutes before the body of Vincent Foster was found. It also became public knowledge that FBI agents assigned to the Office of Special Counsel under Robert Fiske prepared reports which misrepresented Knowlton's statements on several important points.


The authors hope that publicly disseminating this Report will (1) protect Knowlton, and (2) establish his credibility. In addition, the authors hope that publicly disseminating this Report will generate: (3) public pressure so that investigators will devote significant resources to investigating this crime; and (4) at least enough revenue to recover the significant costs of the production of this Report. Another important reason to write the Report was to provide Knowlton with a process for reviewing and working through the recurrent and intrusive distressing recollections of the harassment. Dr. Goldman noted that Knowlton suffers from "typical signs and symptoms of posttraumatic stress."


The most controversial portion of this Report is in its title, "Witness Tampering." The conclusion is solid. After Knowlton's account of what he saw in Fort Marcy Park surfaced, 27 months after it occurred, he was harassed by people with considerable resources - on the eve of his grand jury testimony.

The harassment was an attempt at damage control. It was an attempt to obstruct the investigation into the death of Vincent Foster.

This report is available to the public. The price of $23.95 includes shipping and handling. To order, please dial (800) 251-8086.

"Don't believe a word you hear. It was not suicide. It couldn't have been." -Assistant Attorney General Webster Hubbell, 7/20/93, cited in Esquire, 11/93.

Back To The Top.

Back To The Political Page.

Back To The Foster Page.

Mail to:

drupal statistics