Shelly Kelly

A witness dies without explanation

The report on Shelly Kelly's injuries is about 1/3 down.

The Wall Street Underground
Nicholas Guarino

An interim report on the death of Commerce Secretary Ron Brown.

Cillipi Airport, Dubrovnik, Croatia 2:10 PM April 3, 1996

Captain Amir Schic lands a twin engine corporate jet carrying the Croatian
Prime Minister and the American Ambassador. It is one of five planes to
land routinely on Runway 12 in the hour preceding the scheduled 3:00 P.M.
arrival of IFOR-21, the Boeing T43A carrying Ron Brown and his upbeat
entourage of American industrial deal-makers.

Cillipi Airport, 2:15 PM. Businessmen begin to straggle unto the lobby, a
few carrying umbrellas to ward off the very light to moderate rain.
They're early because they're anxious to greet the 35 Americans who at
this moment are taking off from Tuzla, Bosnia, 130 miles to the northeast.

Outside, a perfect breeze blows at 14 mph from east to west. It is perfect
because at 120 degrees from the north it is only one degree off from being
an exact head wind for the landing pattern of IFOR-21. Contrary to some
U.S. news reports, it is not a dark and stormy night.  It is the middle of
the afternoon.

The Radio Shack of Cillipi Airport, about 2:30 PM.

Maintenance Chief Nilco Jerkuic, 46, nervously fiddles with the dials on
his VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Radio) beacon. The VOR is the only instrument
that can guide the IFOR-21 safely to the runway. Jerkuic re-checks his
terrain map again and again. In a couple of hours, he will be a rich man,
the two American operatives tell him, if he can quietly send IFOR-21 into
Sveti Ivan (St. John's Hill), one of the highest mountains in the area at
2400 feet.

On the other hand, if he miscalculates...well, the Americans did not look
like men who would forgive someone who botches an assignment as serious as
this one.  All Jerkuic knows is that there is someone on board the plane
who is very dangerous to the American President and it is his job to make
sure the plane never lands.

He glances out at some broken clouds around 400 feet above. They will have
no effect. He will have to depend on the main cloud cover at 2000 feet
Sveti Ivan rises almost 400 feet into this overcast. Jerkuic calculates he
will have to alter the signal by a full ten degrees, to send the plane
that far off course into the mountains.

Money or no money, he begins to wonder if he's doing the right thing. He's
seen so much bloodshed in the years of the Bosnian War, what's a little

Cillipi Airport, 2:48 P.M.: Captain Schic climbs to the control tower to
give IFOR-21 a friendly radio greeting and reassurance that all is well He
describes the Cillipi weather: visibility eight kilometers (5 miles), winds
still at 14 mph. all flights arriving normally. Flying at about 10,000
feet and 40+ miles away, IFOR-21 Co-captains Ashley L Davis, 35, and Tim
Shafer, 33, thank Schic for his words of welcome. Because there is no
airport radar, the control tower will not be able to track IFOR-21 as she
approaches the airport.

These conditions are later described by Newsweek and others as the worst
storm in ten years" with "visibility just 100 yards." (Their portrayal of
the weather is flatly denied by Aviation Week and Space Technology.)

In the clouds over the Adriatic Sea. 2:50 P.M.:

IFOR-21 reports in to Cillipi routinely. It is the last time their voice is

Split, Croatia, 2:52 P.M.:

The main regional radar station looses IFOR-21 from its screen, as the
plane descends below the cloud cover.

Kolocep Island. 2:54 PM.:

IFOR-21 is dead on course as h passes directly ova Cillipi's first beacon,
11.8 miles from the airport. It then locks onto Jerkuic's beam, which is
supposed to guide the plane to the runway. But Jerkuic has mis-set the
beam at 119 degrees instead of 109 degrees. This will lead it directly
into the mountain range (and the deaths of all passengers) .

Aboard an AWACS Plane. 2:56 P.M.:

The U.S. Air Force plane keeping track of all air traffic in the area
loses track of IFOR-21, just as it passes over Dubrovnik, Being the
military version of a Boeing 737-200, IFOR-21 is not easily lost.  But
because it is less than a mile off course at this point, no one on the
AWACS plane notes any problem,

Srebreno. Croatia 2:57 P. M.:

Villagers hear a plane roaring past unusually low and close.

Plat, Croatia. 2:58 P.M.:

Villagers Ana and Miho Dunlica rush outside and see IFOR-21 plunging "like
a ghost out of the clouds."

Velji Do. Croatia. 2:58 P.M.:

Everyone in this tiny collection of stone huts at the base of Sved Ivan
hears a plane go directly overhead in the clouds, then rev its engines
mightily for one instant.

Aboard the plane, the klaxon of its ground-proximity warning device
suddenly blares, jolting pilot Davis. But the two-to-three seconds of
warning are far too little. The plane's left wingtip touches ground,
spinning it directly into the rocky hillside, making an earth-shaking

There is the cackling hiss of a huge fireball as the plane and its large
load of fuel burn. Then a dead silence in the mist. The tail section
remains quite intact, but the rest of IFOR-21 is all over the hill, making
later identification of many of the passengers impossible. The nose of the
fuselage is just a blackish smudge in the ground.

All 35 people are dead except for stewardess Shelly Kelly, who is riding
in the tail. She sustains only minor cuts and bruises.

Cillipi. 3:18 P.M.:

U.S. authorities are notified that IFOR-21 is down, location unknown.
However, they are to suffer 11 In hours of pre-planned confusion before
arriving at the scene. One prominent report verifies that pieces of the
wreckage have been spotted floating in the Adriatic. A later report says a
CIA trawler has retrieved some pieces.

Republic of South Africa, approximately 4:00 P.M.:

News reports say an attempt is made on the life of Ron Brown's law
partner, Tommy Boggs, by an unknown assailant in a staged car accident in
Capetown. Later, Boggs refuses to talk about the attempt. Allegations have
been made that Boggs was culpable in many of Brown's activities.

Cillipi, later that afternoon:

Niko Jerkuic goes home to collect his reward, but the reward is not
waiting for him. It comes three days later: a bullet through the chest,
administered just shortly before he is scheduled to be grilled by the U.S.
Air Force accident investigation team.

The hit squad wraps his hand around the gun and departs. The Americans do
not want a live witness who could spill the beans later. Like many of the
Whitewater dead, Jerkuic is immediately labeled a suicide, even though
there's no evidence - and a chest wound is a rare cause - especially with
a large caliber pistol (unusual in Europe).

The quick official reason given for bachelor Jerkuic's death is
despondence over romantic troubles with his girlfriend. I have been unable
to find any verification for this. Instead, I have found that neighbors
and friends all agree Jerkuic was NOT depressed. He bad survived the years
of the Bosnian War. He was excited that life was finally getting better.

Crash site. 7:20 P.M.:

Four hours and 20 minutes after the crash, the first Croation Special
Forces search party arrives on the scene. They fund only stewardess Kelly
surviving. They call for a helicopter to evacuate her to the hospital.
When it arrives, Kelly is able to get on board without assistance from the

But Kelly never completes the short hop. She dies an route. According to
multiple reports given to journalist/editor Joe L. Jordan, an autopsy
later reveals a neat three-inch incision over her main femoral artery. It
also shows the incision came at least three hours after all her other cuts
and bruises.

This creates in your mind a horrifying scene in the back of the chopper, as
one Special Forces operative holds down the struggling woman while 
another slice her leg.

Further autopsies of other passengers probably will not be made. Clinton
ordered the cremation of all victims - it's hard to perform autopsies on

Confusion or Cover-up?

Ever since the crash, most reporters and officials have refused to even
consider the possibility of foul play. Some Some are merely following
orders. But most have instinctively fled from the disturbing possibility
that Ron Brown was assassinated by people close to his own President.

They are confronted with the brutal impossibility of two experienced
pilots following a VOR beam into a mountain 1.6 miles off course. So they
all shrug their shoulders in bewilderment. None of their theories have
come even close to explaining how a beacon that is accurate to within two
feet at the landing point could lead the plane so far astray. But they
have tried:

* The Air Force's official explanation is that the pilots set the compass
on the airplane 10 degrees off course. That is absurd Besides having an
electric compass, the plane was also equipped with a magnetic compass.
Pilots routinely set their compasses right before takeoff. If the compass
was set off 10 degrees, they could not have been on course when they
passed the first beacon, 11.8 miles from the airport. Instead, they would
have been miles and miles off course at this point.  To make this
explanation even more absurd, the plane was flying on the VOR signal, not
the compass. That explains the half truth. Yes the plane was flying 10
degrees off course, but it was because the VOR beam had been tampered

* One desperate explanation was that a nasty crosswind "blew the plane
sideways. Not credible. This wind would require a wind 90 degrees off the
actual wind.

* Most of the press and of officialdom have blamed poor visibility. To do
this. they have taken the ferocity of the rainstorm later that afternoon
and evening - and moved it back in time to the crash hour. But records
show the weather from 2:54 pm to 2:58 pm was simply not that bad. It was
well above the minimum required for landing. And VHF beacons NEVER get
blown off course by the wind.

* Pilot fatigue and strain? Not likely on a 45-minute flight.

* Equipment malfunction on a rickety old plane? IFOR-21 was the number two
plane in the White House fleet - in essence, Air Force 2. It had carried
Hillary and Chelsea Clinton and Defense Secretary William Perry just the
week before. Everything about the flight was checked out and rehearsed a
week in advance.

* Lighting or other troubles causing the pilots to lose track of the beam?
No, they were both drilled in the standard procedure for Cillipi: if you
lose the beam or miss the airport, you immediately veer TO THE RIGHT AND
UP to make sure you avoid Sved Ivan. Indisputably, the pilots thought they
were following the beacon. Otherwise, they would have executed the
standard right turn within seconds. Plus, their landing gear was locked
down. They expected to land at any moment.

In sum, none of the "official" explanations to date hold any water. And
all of them ignore the glaring fact that IFOR-2 did not simply stray off
path at the last moment. By all accounts, she went straight as an arrow to
her doom, the moment she left Kolocep Island beacon and picked up the
Cillipi beacon. The problem had to be the Cillipi beacon, which was
broadcast to cause the plane to fly 10 degrees too far north.

And even worse.....

Could the problem have been that technician Niko Jerkuic had let his
equipment become run-down? No. Thousands of landings had taken place while
his equipment was running. Some, just minutes before IFOR-21. To transmit
a VOR beacon that's ten degrees off, has got to be done intentionally.

Yes, that VOR system is old and antiquated. But the fact is, millions of
flights land successfully all around the U.S. every year, using the same
old, antiquated equipment. A magnetic compass is old and antiquated.
Columbus sailed to the new world with one. But to this day, every ship and
plane in the world uses the same old, antiquated magnetic compass. They
use them because they work.

Obviously, this explanation could do double duty, by aiding the suicide
theory. In this scenario, Jerkuic simply felt so bad about his shoddy work
that he shot himself. Unfortunately, for the theory, you can't just
accidentally bump a knob and make the whole VOR apparatus line up planes
wit Sved Ivan. It takes a sustained effort, from an expert technician.

Plus, the same beacon had guided other planes safely onto the runway, just
before IFOR-21. So Jeruic had to have made his adjustment at the last

Alternative scenario: It is very possible - and a bit simpler - that
Jerkuic simply shut his beacon down. At the same moment, a decoy beacon
would have been turned on by a fellow operative sitting on Sved Ivan. A
decoy beacon easily fits in a jeep. This is an old, old trick.

The question arises: could not the whole issue be resolved by a quick
review of the tapes at the control tower? They probably could - if the
tapes had not suddenly disappeared.

And couldn't the air traffic controller shed some light on things?
Certainly. But now he, too, has "committed suicide" - which, by the way,
is a rare event for such a cause in Croatian culture.

I repeat: No official anywhere is facing these facts. As a result, their
"explanations" are laced with words like "mysterious" and "unknown" and
"inexplicable" and "unfortunate."

And Wait... There's More!

Air Force investigation killed (for the 1st time in history)

The chief investigator for Pratt & Whitney happened to be at the Paris Air
Show on April 3. Pratt & Whitney always sends an investigator when a plane
powered by their engines has a mishap. So the man called his boss in
America. and said in effect, "We just had a crash in Croatia. I think I'd
better get down there." The response was "Go pack."

But as the investigator was packing at his hotel, his boss called back.
"DON'T go," he told the astonished employee. There's not going to be a
safety investigation."

For the first time in its history, the Air Force had canceled the safety
investigation of a crash on friendly soil. There would only be a quick
token legal investigation, designed to enable a committee to blame the
pilots and some Air Force brass, and go home.

At this time, it's an open question whether the black boxes will play a
role. Within hours after the crash, the Croatian Ministry of Transport
announced they had the black boxes. one and a half days after the crash,
Croatian TV (plus Russian and French TV) announced the FDR (flight data
recorder) and the CVR (cockpit voice recorder) were safely in the hands of
the U.S. Marines. They said that soon, "the cause of the crash will be
assessed to find out what happened." The U.S. European command in
Stuttgart, Germany, also stated that a black box was aboard.

Later, the Pentagon brass stoutly denied all this. they said there were NO
black boxes aboard. They claimed the actual recovered boxes were designed
to hold soda pop and toilet paper. (In fact, the black boxes are painted
bright orange, so investigators can more easily find and identify them.
The Croats, who feel they can tell a reel of tape from a roll of toilet
paper, are keeping mum.)

It is hard to imagine that America's #2 VIP plane had no black box. And a
veteran Air Force mechanic, who claims to have worked on just about every
T43A in the USAF, tells me he never saw one without a black box.

Why would anyone want to murder Ron Brown?

By all accounts, Ron Brown was a charming fellow who worked very hard and
effectively to promote U.S. business. Why, then, would anyone want to kill
him? And who would have the resources to do it by bringing down the #2
airplane in the White House fleet?

The answer, in brief, is that Ron Brown was going to prison - no if s,
and's or but's about it. Also Bill Clinton's presidency was surely going
down with him. And the President could not allow that.

To anyone who has followed the story closely, this conclusion is
inescapable. Brown was up to his neck in numerous major scandals:
Whitewater, the Denver airport mess, Mena, the Keating Five, Lillian
Madsen and her Haitian prostitutes, etc. Small wonder that 22 congressmen
wrote Clinton in February 1995. demanding he fire Brown.

At the time of his murder, Brown was under investigation by:

* a special prosecutor in the Justice Department; * the FDIC, * the
Congressional Reform and Oversight  Committee; * the FBI; * the Energy
Department; * the Senate Judiciary Committee; * and even his own Commerce
Department Inspector General.

But in case you missed the piecemeal accounts m the papers. Here is an
extremely condensed summery of 11 of Brown's woes. As I'll show below,
many of them were shortly going to become Bill Clinton's woes:

1. How did North Viet Nam recently get the U.S. to drop its trade embargo
against them so suddenly? Easy. As a leading Vietnamese businessman and
official revealed to the press, the Communist government paid Brown
$700,000 to do it. the money went into a Singapore bank account, the
embargo fell, and Clinton squashed a feeble FBI attempt to investigate. He
and Brown also neutralized a federal grand jury probe later.

2. Brown sold plane seats on other trade trips besides the one to
Bosnia/Croatia. Companies making big contributions to the Democratic Party
or the Clinton Victory Fund could buy access and tax break or regulatory

3. The 1-23-95 U.S. News & World Report broke the news that Brown had
bought a $300,000 townhouse for his girlfriend, Lillian Madsen, a
prominent political player and whorehouse madam from Haiti.

4. Brown used to receive $12,500 a month as the P.R. agent for Baby Doc
Duvalier, the much-loathed dictator of Haiti. Brown received this money
for nearly five years, while he was a member of the Democratic National
Committee. Brown also managed Baby Doc's $50 million investment find, most
or all of which is now in Viet Nam firms.

5. Brown was a key board member of Chemfix, a Louisiana "waste management"
corporation that landed a $210 million contract with New York City in
1990, with Brown's help. That was despite the fact that Chemfix had two
other contracts with other municipalities canceled because of its
inability to perform. Brown got company stock at 24% of market value,
making him millions. New York mayor David Dinkins got to host me
Democratic Convention. A typical Ron Brown win/win deal.

6. Brown founded Capital/Pebsco, which - fresh out of the box got a
contract with Washington D.C. mayor Marion Barry to handle the city's
pension funds. Not a bad start for a new company with no investing

7. In a deal that has left CIA people livid, Brown okayed the sale of a
new U.S. gas turbine engine to China China will use the engines m its
cruise missiles McDonald Douglas developed the turbine as a military
engine. But Brown arbitrarily reclassified it as "civilian". That let
China build a fleet of missiles, using U.S. engines and technology, which
they can poise, of course, at the US.

8. Brown irked Congress and most of Europe by acting as point man for
Clinton to bring Iranian influence and weapons into the Bosnian War. That
broke the U.S.- endorsed arms embargo. The money for the arms most likely
came from Commerce and Agriculture, slush fund money channeled to U.S.
manufacturers; from there to U.S. -friendly nations and firms overseas;
and from there to Iran. The arms included helicopter gun ships, big
artillery, stinger missiles, land mines, anti-aircraft guns, anti-tank
weapons, grenade launchers, and other quality weapons. Most of the arms
will stay on the European scene for decades to come, keeping the area
destabilized. As one leading munitions dealer put it:

"Iran/Contra was slingshots and cap guns compared to the quantities and
size of arms given the Croatian Serbs That is why the Croatian Muslims
enthusiastically hosted Brown's planeload of executives. They felt grati-
tude for the free arms, as well as a desire to do deals.

9. Brown was the partner of a Democratic fund-raiser named Nolanda Hill.
Hill paid Brown $500,000 for his 50% interest in First International,
Inc., a company that never made any profits. Most glaringly, Brown never
invested a cent m First International.

First International owned Corridor Broadcasting, which had defaulted on
massive government loans of $40 million, The loans were passed on to the
FDIC, which was unsuccessful in collecting anything from Hill. Yet at the
same time, First Intentional was making large contributions to the 
Democratic Party, and paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to Brown,
through shell corporations.

These payments to Brown - three checks for $45,000 each - were the core of
Representative Clinger's evidence that forced Janet Reno to hire Daniel
Pearson as special investigator of Brown's crimes. They were cashier's
checks, all cut the same day m 1993, with sequential numbers. Yet
supposedly, the money came from three contributors, acting independently.
Brown never disclosed or paid any taxes on these amounts.

10. By personally delivering a warning letter signed by Clinton, Brown was
able to force a bargain deal with the Saudis for $6 billion in American
military aircraft and hardware. To get the planes the Saudis also had to
accept a fat $4 billion phone contract with AT&T: otherwise, they would
get no aircraft.

Also part of the deal: AT&T had a multi-million dollar side agreement with
Brown's First International, which was hired as a "consultant" (see
above). And the Demo- cratic National Committee and the Clinton campaign
fund were beneficiaries.  This is how big business is done in Clinton's

11. The last nail in Brown's coffin was pounded in four days before his
crash. FBI and IRS agents subpoenaed as many as 20 witnesses for a serious
probe of  Brown in Washington.  It seems that an Oklahoma gas company
called Dynamic Energy Resources gave Brown's son Michael $500,000 in
stock, a $160,000 cash payment, and exclusive country club memberships. 
Former Dynamic president Stewart Price told a Tulsa grand jury that the
money was to be routed to Ron Brown, who was expected to "fix" a big
lawsuit for Dynamic.

There is little chance you heard about this death-knell, grand jury case.
Radio station KTOK in Oklahoma reported it on March 28, 1996; the
Washington Times made it a front-page story on March 29. But then a lock
was put on the story. The AP and New York Times wire services blocked any
future release of the information. Welcome to the new world order.

Final proof: the 2-8-96 Washington Post reported Brown had retained top
legal gun Reid Weingarten, a former high official in Justice Department,
as his criminal attorney. You don't pay his price ($750 an hour) unless
you know a criminal indictment is coming, and you're probably going to

Janet Reno appointed Daniel Pearson as Brown's special prosecutor earlier
this year. She gave him blanket permission to investigate anything. That's
when Brown angrily demanded that Clinton force her to withdraw Pearson.
But Reno couldn't do that. She had been backed into a comer by Rep.
William F. Clinger, Jr., chairman of the House Government Reform and
Oversight Committee. Clinger had copies of Brown's First International
checks, plus other incriminating documents.

When Clinton said he couldn't comply, Brown went ballistic. His fatal
mistake - according to Brown confidants who requested anonymity - was
telling Clinton he wasn't going to take the rap. He wasn't going to let
his wife and son take the rap, either. (Both had received  hundreds of
thousands in under-the-table payments themselves.) He was going to finger
Bill and Hillary instead. That would have sunk Bill's reelection campaign
on the spot.

Dead man walking

>From  that point on, Brown was dead. Like Vince Foster before him, he knew
too much. He knew where all the money went for the payoffs, bribes, scams,
money laundering, cover-ups, participation fees, hush money and side deals
- all the way from one-man operations to vast multinational trade treaty

The phony suicide fake out used on Foster could not be repeated, of course.
But an airplane crash is always viewed as an accident. So agents were sent
- not directly by Clinton, but through a White House staffer - to a
standing network of high- level killers, sometimes called the "Octopus."
If the frequently stormy weather at Cillipi had not cooperated, there would
always be another trip - somewhere, somehow - and soon.

If the preceding data were widely know, America would realize Bill Clinton
is by far the most dangerous man ever to live in the White House. His
complex personality certainly has a genial side. But a clear overall
picture of this man must include the brutal nature of the hit team that
carries out his muttered wishes, and looks after his political fortunes.

This is not simply the rag-tag "Arkansas mafia" that followed Clinton to
Washington. It is a small but extremely well-organized network of
pro-establishment heavy hitters and their ground-level operatives. With a
few changes of face, they have been on the scene since the 1970's. They
are a diverse band of high-level thugs who are the muscle squad of the

If you are a member of Congress, I urge you to assign your most trusted
staff members to investigate these crimes. Start with a conversation with
Daniel Pearson. He is still willing to share his information.


Back To The Top.

Back To The Crash Page.

Mail to:

drupal statistics