The truth is that Bush, Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had been chafing to attack Iraq before Sept. 11, 2001. They justified that unnecessary war using intelligence reports that they knew or should have known to be faulty. And it was pressure from the White House and a highly politicized Pentagon that compelled people like Secretary of State Colin Powell and George Tenet, the director of central intelligence, to ignore the counter-evidence and squander their good names on hyped claims of weapons of mass destruction.
Despite it all, Bush said he will "leave the presidency with my head held high." And, presumably, with his eyes closed to all the disasters he is dumping on the American people and his successor.
Bush's true "legacy" includes the following:
1. Destruction and carnage to large parts of the planet.
2. The creation of illness and death through the use of depleted uranium in his wars without end. And that includes the illness and deaths of our own soldiers, and huge numbers of horrendous birth defects in Iraqi and Afghani kids whose parents had been exposed to this poison.
3. The evisceration of the Constitution and Bill of Rights here at home.
4. The destruction of the US and the global economy through a lack of oversight and intelligent regulation.
5. The legitimization of torture as a value right up there with mom and apple pie, which is completely antithetical to what this country is supposed to represent.
The judgment of history, if it is an honest assessment, cannot be kind to this man, nor to the people surrounding him who made the decisions which have literally thrown this country off a cliff, financially and morally.