Defense Minister Ehud Barak declared Wednesday that 2012 is "the year of the fight against the Iranian nuclear program."
In a meeting with military analysts and correspondents, Barak said that the economic and diplomatic sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic are working but that it has yet to be seen whether they will achieve a true compromise that will halt Tehran's nuclear program.
Memo to Israeli Defense Minister Barak: the "big lie" technique kind of went out with the whoopee cushion and the dribble glass, sir.
Even your fellow and sister Israelis understand that you are not telling the truth about Iran's nuclear program.
So, here it goes for the zillionth time.
1. As a signatory to the NNPT, Iran is allowed to used nuclear technology for peaceful means, as it is doing now with its power station, with the help of Russian Technicians
2. To date, no IAEA inspection has proven that ANY nuclear materials have been diverted toward a weapons program. The Iranian scientists are enriching uranium to a 20% level to create medical isotopes; these are to help people heal, not blow people up.
3. The strictures and limitations US Secretary Clinton has put upon Iran's participation in upcoming talks have guaranteed that they have been engineered to fail: war against Iran is the outcome you want to see as a result of this failure.
4. Israel wants to see the US attack Iran, without Israeli involvement, if humanly possible. However, I would strongly caution the Israeli government that Americans are bloody sick, tired, and angry in the cost in American blood, and American money, Israel consistently demands this country place on the altar of ultimate Israeli hegemony in the Middle East.
5. There here will be absolutely no support of such an attack by the American people, for that very reason. And American military participation in such an attack may possibly not go at all well (particularly if such a war is prolonged) because the US government doesn't have the troop strength, the money, or the manufacturing to insure a successful outcome.
6. Israeli leadership has been playing fast and loose with the truth against their own people, assuring them that Israel will experience no more than 300 casualties as a result of such a military operation. But if the war gets prolonged, and is not a successful blitzkrieg, there could be massive risk to both Israeli lives, and Israeli assets.
7. Leaders from nuclear-armed Pakistan, China, and Russia, have gone public in stating that should Iran be attacked, they will come to its aid militarily.
7. So what we have here, should you and/or the Americans attack Iran, is the potential for a global, thermonuclear war over an alleged Iranian nuclear weapons program which, sir, to date, cannot be proven to exist.
Defense Minister Barak, I encourage you, and those in the bowels of DC and Tel Aviv, to please, be very, very careful about what you wish for here; you all may very well unleash catastrophic events by the pursuit of such a war which will result in unstoppable, catastrophically, unintended consequences.