THOUGHT FOR THE DAY!
YOUR RANDOM DHS MONITORED PHRASE OF THE DAY
EXAMPLES OF HATE SPEECH BY ISRAEL AGAINST PALESTINE
1. "There is a huge gap between us (Jews) and our enemies not just in ability but in morality, culture, sanctity of life, and conscience. They are our neighbors here, but it seems as if at a distance of a few hundred meters away, there are people who do not belong to our continent, to our world, but actually belong to a different galaxy." Israeli president Moshe Katsav. The Jerusalem Post, May 10, 2001
2. "The Palestinians are like crocodiles, the more you give them meat, they want more".... Ehud Barak, Prime Minister of Israel at the time - August 28, 2000. Reported in the Jerusalem Post August 30, 2000
3. " [The Palestinians are] beasts walking on two legs." Menahim Begin, speech to the Knesset, quoted in Amnon Kapeliouk, "Begin and the Beasts". New Statesman, 25 June 1982.
4. "The Palestinians" would be crushed like grasshoppers ... heads smashed against the boulders and walls." " Isreali Prime Minister (at the time) in a speech to Jewish settlers New York Times April 1, 1988
5. "When we have settled the land, all the Arabs will be able to do about it will be to scurry around like drugged cockroaches in a bottle." Raphael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defence Forces, New York Times, 14 April 1983.
6. "How can we return the occupied territories? There is nobody to return them to." Golda Maier, March 8, 1969.
7. "There was no such thing as Palestinians, they never existed." Golda Maier Israeli Prime Minister June 15, 1969
8. "The thesis that the danger of genocide was hanging over us in June 1967 and that Israel was fighting for its physical existence is only bluff, which was born and developed after the war." Israeli General Matityahu Peled, Ha'aretz, 19 March 1972.
9. David Ben Gurion (the first Israeli Prime Minister): "If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has been Anti - Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault ? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that?" Quoted by Nahum Goldmann in Le Paraddoxe Juif (The Jewish Paradox), pp121.
10. Ben Gurion also warned in 1948 : "We must do everything to insure they ( the Palestinians) never do return." Assuring his fellow Zionists that Palestinians will never come back to their homes. "The old will die and the young will forget."
11. "We have to kill all the Palestinians unless they are resigned to live here as slaves." Chairman Heilbrun of the Committee for the Re-election of General Shlomo Lahat, the mayor of Tel Aviv, October 1983.
12. "Every time we do something you tell me America will do this and will do that . . . I want to tell you something very clear: Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." - Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, October 3, 2001, to Shimon Peres, as reported on Kol Yisrael radio. (Certainly the FBI's cover-up of the Israeli spy ring/phone tap scandal suggests that Mr. Sharon may not have been joking.)
13. "We declare openly that the Arabs have no right to settle on even one centimeter of Eretz Israel... Force is all they do or ever will understand. We shall use the ultimate force until the Palestinians come crawling to us on all fours." Rafael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defense Forces - Gad Becker, Yediot Ahronot 13 April 1983, New York Times 14 April 1983.
14. "We must do everything to ensure they [the Palestinian refugees] never do return" David Ben-Gurion, in his diary, 18 July 1948, quoted in Michael Bar Zohar's Ben-Gurion: the Armed Prophet, Prentice-Hall, 1967, p. 157.
15. " ... we should prepare to go over to the offensive with the aim of smashing Lebanon, Trans-jordan and Syria... The weak point in the Arab coalition is Lebanon [for] the Moslem regime is artificial and easy to undermine. A Christian state should be established... When we smash the [Arab] Legions strength and bomb Amman, we will eliminate Transjordan, too, and then Syria will fall. If Egypt still dares to fight on, we shall bomb Port Said, Alexandria, and Cairo." " David Ben-Gurion, May 1948, to the General Staff. From Ben-Gurion, A Biography, by Michael Ben-Zohar, Delacorte, New York 1978.
16. "We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab population." Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum"
17. "Jewish villages were built in the place of Arab villages. You do not even know the names of these Arab villages, and I do not blame you because geography books no longer exist. Not only do the books not exist, the Arab villages are not there either. Nahlal arose in the place of Mahlul; Kibbutz Gvat in the place of Jibta; Kibbutz Sarid in the place of Huneifis; and Kefar Yehushua in the place of Tal al-Shuman. There is not a single place built in this country that did not have a former Arab population." Moshe Dayan, address to the Technion, Haifa, reported in Haaretz, April 4, 1969.
18. "We walked outside, Ben-Gurion accompanying us. Allon repeated his question, What is to be done with the Palestinian population?' Ben-Gurion waved his hand in a gesture which said 'Drive them out!'" Yitzhak Rabin, leaked censored version of Rabin memoirs, published in the New York Times, 23 October 1979.
19. Rabin's description of the conquest of Lydda, after the completion of Plan Dalet. "We shall reduce the Arab population to a community of woodcutters and waiters" Uri Lubrani, PM Ben-Gurion's special adviser on Arab Affairs, 1960. From "The Arabs in Israel" by Sabri Jiryas.
20. "There are some who believe that the non-Jewish population, even in a high percentage, within our borders will be more effectively under our surveillance; and there are some who believe the contrary, i.e., that it is easier to carry out surveillance over the activities of a neighbor than over those of a tenant. [I] tend to support the latter view and have an additional argument:...the need to sustain the character of the state which will henceforth be Jewish...with a non-Jewish minority limited to 15 percent. I had already reached this fundamental position as early as 1940 [and] it is entered in my diary." Joseph Weitz, head of the Jewish Agency's Colonization Department. From Israel: an Apartheid State by Uri Davis, p.5.
21. "Everybody has to move, run and grab as many hilltops as they can to enlarge the settlements because everything we take now will stay ours... Everything we don't grab will go to them." Ariel Sharon, Israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of militants from the extreme right-wing Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, November 15, 1998.
22. "It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten with time. The first of these is that there is no Zionism,colonialization or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of their lands." Yoram Bar Porath, Yediot Aahronot, of 14 July 1972.
23. "Spirit the penniless population across the frontier by denying it employment... Both the process of expropriation and the removal of the poor must be carried out discreetly and circumspectly." Theodore Herzl, founder of the World Zionist Organization, speaking of the Arabs of Palestine,Complete Diaries, June 12, 1895 entry.
24. "One million Arabs are not worth a Jewish fingernail." -- Rabbi Yaacov Perrin, Feb. 27, 1994 [Source: N.Y. Times, Feb. 28, 1994, p. 1]
25. "We Jews, we are the destroyers and will remain the destroyers. Nothing you can do will meet our demands and needs. We will forever destroy because we want a world of our own." (You Gentiles, by Jewish Author Maurice Samuels, p. 155).
26. "We will have a world government whether you like it or not. The only question is whether that government will be achieved by conquest or consent." (Jewish Banker Paul Warburg, February 17, 1950, as he testified before the U.S. Senate).
27. "We will establish ourselves in Palestine whether you like it or not...You can hasten our arrival or you can equally retard it. It is however better for you to help us so as to avoid our constructive powers being turned into a destructive power which will overthrow the world." (Chaim Weizmann, Published in "Judische Rundschau," No. 4, 1920)
28. "Our race is the Master Race. We are divine gods on this planet. We are as different from the inferior races as they are from insects. In fact, compared to our race, other races are beasts and animals, cattle at best. Other races are considered as human excrement. Our destiny is to rule over the inferior races. Our earthly kingdom will be ruled by our leader with a rod of iron. The masses will lick our feet and serve us as our slaves." - Israeli prime Minister Menachem Begin in a speech to the Knesset [Israeli Parliament] quoted by Amnon Kapeliouk, "Begin and the Beasts," New Statesman, June 25, 1982
29. "Tell me, do the evil men of this world have a bad time? They hunt and catch whatever they feel like eating. They don't suffer from indigestion and are not punished by Heaven. I want Israel to join that club. Maybe the world will then at last begin to fear us instead of feeling sorry. Maybe they will start to tremble, to fear our madness instead of admiring our nobility. Let them tremble; let them call us a mad state. Let them understand that we are a savage country, dangerous to our surroundings, not normal, that we might go wild, that we might start World War Three just like that, or that we might one day go crazy and burn all the oil fields in the Middle East. Even if you'll prove to me that the present war is a dirty immoral war, I don't care. We shall start another war, kill and destroy more and more. And do you know why it is all worth it? Because it seems that this war has made us more unpopular among the civilized world.We'll hear no more of that nonsense about the unique Jewish morality. No more talk about a unique people being a light upon the nations. No more uniqueness and no more sweetness and light. Good riddance." --Former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
30. "The Modern Age is the Jewish Age, and the twentieth century, in particular, is the Jewish Century." -Yuri Slezkine, Professor of History at University of California, Berkeley, "The Jewish Century"; Princeton University Press
31. "What shocks and worries me is the narrow-mindedness and the shortsightedness of our military leaders. They seem to presume that the State of Israel may or even must-behave in the realm of international relations according to the laws of the jungle- -the long chain of false incidents and hostilities we have invented, and so many clashes we have provoked;" - From Diary of Moshe Sharett, former Primer Minister of Israel in Livia Rokach, Israel's Sacred Terrorism published 980
32. Hebrew essayist Achad Ha-Am, after paying a visit to Palestine in 1891: "Abroad we are accustomed to believe that Israel is almost empty; nothing is grown here and that whoever wishes to buy land could come here and buy what his heart desires. In reality, the situation is not like this. Throughout the country it is difficult to find cultivable land which is not already cultivated."
33. The Balfour Declaration to Baron Rothchild, on the 2nd of November, 1917: "His Majesty's Government view with favor the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavors to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country."
34. Lord Sydenham, Hansard, House of Lords, 21 June 1922: "If we are going to admit claims on conquest thousands of years ago, the whole world will have to be turned upside down."
35. Vladimir Jabotinsky, The Iron Wall, 1923: "Zionist colonization must either be terminated or carried out against the wishes of the native population. This colonization can, therefore, be continued and make progress only under the protection of a power independent of the native population - an iron wall, which will be in a position to resist the pressure to the native population. This is our policy towards the Arabs..."
36. Vladimir Jabotinsky, founder of Revisionist Zionism (precursor of Likud), The Iron Wall, 1923: "A voluntary reconciliation with the Arabs is out of the question either now or in the future. If you wish to colonize a land in which people are already living, you must provide a garrison for the land, or find some rich man or benefactor who will provide a garrison on your behalf. Or else-or else, give up your colonization, for without an armed force which will render physically impossible any attempt to destroy or prevent this colonization, colonization is impossible, not difficult, not dangerous, but IMPOSSIBLE!... Zionism is a colonization adventure and therefore it stands or falls by the question of armed force. It is important... to speak Hebrew, but, unfortunately, it is even more important to be able to shoot - or else I am through with playing at colonizing."
37. David Ben Gurion, future Prime Minister of Israel, 1937, Ben Gurion and the Palestine Arabs, Oxford University Press, 1985: "We must expel Arabs and take their places."
38. Joseph Weitz, head of the Jewish Agency's Colonization Department in 1940. From "A Solution to the Refugee Problem": "Between ourselves it must be clear that there is no room for both peoples together in this country. We shall not achieve our goal if the Arabs are in this small country. There is no other way than to transfer the Arabs from here to neighboring countries - all of them. Not one village, not one tribe should be left."
39. Israeli official Arthur Lourie in a letter to Walter Eytan, director general of the Israeli Foreign Ministry (ISA FM 2564/22). From Benny Morris, "The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem 1947-49", p. 297: "...if people become accustomed to the large figure and we are actually obliged to accept the return of the refugees, we may find it difficult, when faced with hordes of claimants, to convince the world that not all of these formerly lived in Israeli territory. It would, in any event, seem desirable to minimize the numbers...than otherwise."
40. David Ben-Gurion, May 1948, to the General Staff. From Ben- Gurion, A Biography, by Michael Ben-Zohar, Delacorte, New York 1978: "We should prepare to go over to the offensive. Our aim is to smash Lebanon, Trans-Jordan, and Syria. The weak point is Lebanon, for the Moslem regime is artificial and easy for us to undermine. We shall establish a Christian state there, and then we will smash the Arab Legion, eliminate Trans-Jordan; Syria will fall to us. We then bomb and move on and take Port Said, Alexandria and Sinai."
41. David Ben-Gurion, one of the father founders of Israel, described Zionist aims in 1948: "A Christian state should be established [in Lebanon], with its southern border on the Litani river. We will make an alliance with it. When we smash the Arab Legion's strength and bomb Amman, we will eliminate Transjordan too, and then Syria will fall. If Egypt still dares to fight on, we shall bomb Port Said, Alexandria and Cairo... And in this fashion, we will end the war and settle our forefathers' account with Egypt, Assyria, and Aram"
42. [Begin, and Yitzhak Shamir who were members of the party became Prime Ministers.] Albert Einstein, Hanna Arendt and other prominent Jewish Americans, writing in The New York Times, protest the visit to America of Menachem Begin, December 1948: "Among the most disturbing political phenomena of our time is the emergence in the newly created State of Israel of the Freedom Party (Herut), a political party closely akin in its organization, method, political philosophy and social appeal to the Nazi and Fascist parties."
43. Martin Buber, Jewish Philosopher, addressed Prime Minister Ben Gurion on the moral character of the state of Israel with reference to the Arab refugees in March 1949. "We will have to face the reality that Israel is neither innocent, nor redemptive. And that in its creation, and expansion; we as Jews, have caused what we historically have suffered; a refugee population in Diaspora."
44. Moshe Dayan (Israel Defense and Foreign Minister), on February 12 1952. Radio "Israel.": "It lies upon the people's shoulders to prepare for the war, but it lies upon the Israeli army to carry out the fight with the ultimate object of erecting the Israeli Empire."
45. Martin Buber, to a New York audience, Jewish Newsletter, June 2, 1958: "When we [followers of the prophetic Judaism] returned to Palestine...the majority of Jewish people preferred to learn from Hitler rather than from us."
46. Aba Eban (the Israeli Foreign Minister) stated arrogantly. New York Times June 19, 1967: "If the General Assembly were to vote by 121 votes to 1 in favor of "Israel" returning to the armistice lines-- (pre June 1967 borders) "Israel" would refuse to comply with the decision."
47. Dr. Israel Shahak, Chairperson of the Israeli League for Human and Civil Rights, and a survivor of the Bergen Belsen concentration camp, Commenting on the Israeli military's Emergency Regulations following the 1967 War. Palestine, vol. 12, December 1983: "Hitler's legal power was based upon the 'Enabling Act', which was passed quite legally by the Reichstag and which allowed the Fuehrer and his representatives, in plain language, to be what they wanted, or in legal language, to issue regulations having the force of law. Exactly the same type of act was passed by the Knesset [Israeli's Parliament] immediately after the 1067 conquest granting the Israeli governor and his representatives the power of Hitler, which they use in Hitlerian manner."
48. Joseph Weitz, Director of the Jewish National Fund, the Zionist agency charged with acquiring Palestinian land, Circa 194. Machover Israca, January 5, 1973 /p.2: "The only solution is Eretz Israel [Greater Israel], or at least Western Eretz Israel [all the land west of Jordan River], without Arabs. There is no room for compromise on this point ... We must not leave a single village, not a single tribe."
49. Israeli Rabbi Yitzhak Ginsburg, Inferring that killing isn't murder if the victim is Gentile. Jerusalem Post, June 19,1989: "Jewish blood and a goy's [gentile's] blood are not the same."
50. Benyamin Netanyahu, then Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister, former Prime Minister of Israel, tells students at Bar Ilan University, From the Israeli journal Hotam, November 24, 1989: "Israel should have exploited the repression of the demonstrations in China, when world attention focused on that country, to carry out mass expulsions among the Arabs of the territories."
51. Former Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir declares at a Tel Aviv memorial service for former Likud leaders, November 1990. Jerusalem Domestic Radio Service: "The past leaders of our movement left us a clear message to keep Eretz Israel from the Sea to the Jordan River for future generations, for the mass aliya [immigration], and for the Jewish people, all of whom will be gathered into this country."
52. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak, quoted in Associated Press, November 16, 2000: "If we thought that instead of 200 Palestinian fatalities, 2,000 dead would put an end to the fighting at a stroke, we would use much more force...."
53. Ben Gurion: In 1899, Davis Triestsch wrote to Herzl: " I would suggest to you to come round in time to the "Greater Palestine" program before it is too late... the Basle program must contain the words "Great Palestine" or "Palestine and its neighboring lands" otherwise it's nonsense. You do not get ten million Jews into a land of 25,000 Km2". " The present map of Palestine was drawn by the British mandate. The Jewish people have another map which our youth and adults should strive to fulfill -- From the Nile to the Euphrates."
54. Vladimir Jabotinsky (the founder and advocate of the Zionist terrorist organizations), Quoted by Maxime Rodinson in Peuple Juif ou Problem Juif. (Jewish People or Jewish Problem): "Has any People ever been seen to give up their territory of their own free will? In the same way, the Arabs of Palestine will not renounce their sovereignty without violence."
made by a well-established society about how a people it is oppressing is
breaking rules to attain its rights do not have much
(Shlomo Ben-Ami, 2000)
there be no doubt -- the United States of America stands with the State of
Israel also because it is in our national interests to stand with the
State of Israel."
(Nancy Pelosi, April 1, 2003)
have learned that the state of Israel cannot be ruled in our generation
without deceit and adventurism."
(Moshe Shertok, 1950s)
bless you. God bless our men and women serving on the frontlines today.
And God bless our special relationship between the United States of
America and the State of Israel."
(Nancy Pelosi, April 1, 2003)
it's utterly hypocritical for Israelis to wonder aloud why Palestinians
don't pursue a non-violent strategy. One obvious reason is that, whenever
they have, Israel brutally represses it."
(Norman G. Finkelstein, 11 September 2003)
Promised Land extends from the River of Egypt to the Euphrates. It
includes parts of Syria and Lebanon."
(Yehudah Leib Fischmann, 1947)
has to move, run and grab as many hilltops as they can to enlarge the
settlements because everything we take now will stay ours... Everything we
don't grab will go to them."
(Ariel (Arik) Sharon, 17 Bovember 1998)
walked outside, Ben-Gurion accompanying us. Allon repeated his question,
'What is to be done with the Palestinian population?' Ben-Gurion waved his
hand in a gesture which said 'Drive them
(Yitzhak Rabin, July 1948)
will be a brutal land of pens stretching between the Jordan River and the
Mediterranean that will make South African apartheid
(Yigal Bronner, 17 September 2003)
certainly does have a plan: to protect Eretz Yisrael, avoid returning any
territories and make sure the settlements stay where they are. Everything
else is tactics."
(Aluf Benn, 18 September 2003)
in Israel ... have no right to serve in the Israel Defense Forces, to
marry a Jew in Israel according to state law, or even to study in the
language of the majority."
(Amnon Rubinstein, 18 September 2003)
British told us that there are some hundred thousand negroes ['kushim']
and for those there is no value."
(Chaim Weizmann, around 1917)
must be like a mad dog, too dangerous to
(Moshe Dayan, unknown date)
these events [in the biblical books of Exodus and Joshua] are practically
contradicted by archaeology."
(Ze'ev Herzog, 23 December 1999)
fact, I cannot think of any other country on earth that, in full view of
nightly TV audiences, has performed such miracles of detailed sadism
against an entire society and gotten away with
(Edward Said, September 25, 2003)
it conceivable that somebody on our side has decided that all of
Palestinian society is the target? ... [Israel's] war without questions
intensifies and broadens the circles of hatred for
(Alex Fishman, October 2003)
their life so bitter that they will transfer themselves
(Binyamin (Benny) Elon, some date around 2003)
people believe] a mistaken claim holding that Zionism's main rationale was
to create a sanctuary for persecuted Jews"
(David Breakstone, 5 November 2003)
prepared, as an American and a Jew, to make the well being of Israel my
(Gary Rosenblatt, 7 November 2003)
want the Arabs to see Jewish lights every night 500 meters from
(Ariel (Arik) Sharon, 1980)
involved here ... in a struggle for the existence of the State of Israel
as the state of the Jews, as opposed to those who want to force us to be a
state of all its citizens."
(Limor Livnat, 2002)
and the Palestinians are sinking together into the mud of the "one state."
The question is no longer whether it will be binational, but which model
(Meron Benvenisti, 20 November 2003)
Morris used to be a "Young Turk", but now he's become an old jerk with a
(Avi Shlaim, 8 November 2003)
trees grow back and ultimately we hope to harvest them in the place of the
unwanted inhabitants of the area."
(Yossi Peli, 14 November 2003)
was decided and carried out: they washed her, cut her hair, raped her and
(David Ben-Gurion, 1949)
answer do we have to the question: Why should Natasha from Kiev, whose
ancestors had no connection to the Jewish people, be preferred to Ahmad,
whose family tilled the land around Safed for
(Jonathan (Jonathon) Rosenblum, 1999)
there is no separation [between an anti-Semitism that should be condemned
and a legitimate criticism toward Israel's policies]. We are talking about
(Ariel (Arik) Sharon, 24 November 2003)
failure to differentiate between civilians and terrorists turns all the
Palestinians into potential suicide bombers."
(Yosef Paritzky, 2003)
most valuable part of the Jewish nation is already in Palestine, and those
Jews living outside Palestine are not too
(Chaim Weizmann, 1942)
Cow in Palestine is worth more than all the Jews in
(Yitzhak (Izaak) Greenbaum, 18 February 1943)
Zionist movement was a partner to this crime [of abandoning European Jews
to the Holocaust]. Its policy was to settle Palestine with Jews and those
Jews they could not use were as good as
(Yossi Schwartz, June 2003)
knew that it would be possible to save all the children in Germany by
bringing them over to England and only half of them by transporting them
to Eretz Israel, then I opt for the second
(David Ben-Gurion, 1938)
principle I support Zionism, but there are difficulties with solving the
Jewish question. Our experiment in Birobidzan failed, because the Jews
prefer to live in cities."
(Stalin, 11 February 1945)
of being slandered as 'anti-Semites' means we are abetting terrible deeds
in the Middle East."
(Robert Fisk, 17 April 2001)
an internationally recognized provocation, an Israeli invasion of Lebanon
would have a devastating effect on the United
(Alexander Haig, 1982)
step on the road to reality was not taken until 1904, when I appear to
have become fully aware of the Arab peril."
(Israel Zangwill, 1904)
Jewish immigrants from Arab countries are] human dust lacking language,
education, roots, tradition or national
(David Ben-Gurion, unknown date)
United Nations is under no more of a legal obligation to maintain Zionism
in Israel than it is to maintain apartheid in South
(William Thomas Mallison, 1986)
said that anyone who approaches the Zionist problem from a moral aspect,
he is not a Zionist."
(Moshe Dayan, September 1967)
this the way to occupy Hebron? A couple of artillery bombardments on
Hebron and not a single 'Hebronite' would have remained there. Is this the
way to occupy [East] Jerusalem [without driving most of the Arabs
(Yigal Allon, November 1967)
plans for large-scale immigration offered Germany an additional advantage
in that they would fulfil one of her avowed aims, namely, to rid Europe of
(Nathan (Natan) Friedman-Yellin, 1978)
formula for the parameters of a unilateral solution are: To maximize the
number of Jews; to minimize the number of Palestinians; not to withdraw to
the 1967 border and not to divide Jerusalem."
(Ehud Olmert, November 2003)
impression is that all of Israel is turning into one big settlement in the
(Lily Galili, 18 December 2003)
cannot rid myself of the feeling that the unfortunate Jews of Europe's DP
camps are helpless hostages for whom statehood has been made the only
(Arthur Hays Sulzberger, 1946)
all you can to immediately and quickly purge the conquered territories of
all hostile elements ... The residents should be helped to leave [these]
(Moshe Carmel, 31 October 1948)
we wanted to escape in Vilna we found here. ... There, hatred was directed
against Jews, here against Arabs. The class struggles were the same, with
homeless sleeping in the street."
(Meir Vilner, 1998)
don't differentiate between ordinary Palestinians and Palestinians who
claim to be journalists."
(Daniel Seaman, 2003)
am sorry, I never thought I was shooting at Jews, I would never shoot a
(Israeli soldier who shot Gil Naamati, December 2003)
Sharon has a strong tendency] to not tell the
(David Ben-Gurion, some date in the early 1950s)
Ben Gurion first remarked in his diary 50 years ago that the young officer
had a strong tendency "to not tell the truth," Sharon has improved his art
(Gideon Samet, 7 January 2004)
is clear that the present government of Israel simply does not tell the
(Arthur Hertzberg, 7 January 2004)
is, of course, a moral problem with the expectation that the rules of
engagement should be different for Israelis and Palestinians, even when
the situations are similar. It appears to be racial
(Amos Harel, 7 January 2004)
colonialism inhabits the space between two extinct models -- those
provided by South Africa and French practice in Algeria. It is not a blend
of the two, but rather a distillation of the worst in
(Azmi Bishara, 8 January 2004)
property law forbids the acquisition of real estate by non-Lebanese
persons] "who do not possess citizenship issued by a state recognised by
(Lebanese Parliament, 2002)
the Israeli treatment of Palestinians in Gaza] You are almost getting a
situation like the Warsaw ghetto - people can't get in or out. They can't
work, they can't sell anything. There is this gradual
(Jenny Tonge, June 2003)
the [Israeli] public is accepting a situation in which military activity
in Palestinian towns is accompanied by indiscriminate
(Haaretz editorial writer, 29 January 2004)
[Arab stopped at a checkpoint] does not act nicely gets beaten. ... We
have clubs for that. ... Sometimes I might just not like his face. ... And
then he gets one too. Just a way of passing the
(An Israeli policewoman, 16 January 2004)
agree that the moment there is an Arab majority west of the Jordan,
without a [peace] settlement, it will be very difficult for Israel. ... We
urge Israel to act before that moment."
(Simon McDonald, 9 February 2004)
right to be married is a humanitarian right recognized in the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights, but not in the State of Israel, which has
committed to uphold this declaration."
(Naomi Chazan, 4 February 2004)
Shlomo Aviner, a Gush Emunim leader] explains that while God requires
other, normal nations to abide by abstract codes of "justice and
righteousness," such laws do not apply to
(Ian Lustick, 1988)
a debate setting, it takes 30 seconds to create a lie, to spin a lie, and
then five minutes to disprove it. So in a debate setting, lies win. I feel
like that's something you see in the media."
(Wendy Pearlman, 11 February 2004)
this difficult time we must again reaffirm we are enlisted for the
duration-and reaffirm our belief that the cause of Israel must be the
cause of America-and the cause of people of conscience
(John Kerry, 17 February 2004)
separation fence is inching further into the territory of the West Bank,
in such a degree that the cantonisation of Palestinian territory begins to
raise question about the viability of a Palestinian
(Pat Cox, 24 February 2004)
is just a horrible thought that such people are working for the Americans
(Richard Goldstone, February 2004)
a person makes anti-Israeli statements that challenge the legitimacy of
the existence of the state of Israel, that to me is concealed
(Michael Brecher, November 2003)
difference between a Jewish soul and the souls of non-Jews...is greater
and deeper than the difference between a human soul and the souls of
(Abraham Isaac (Avraham Yitzhak) Hacohen Kook, some date before 1935)
Israeli government seemingly cultivates this fear of existential
(Amira Hass, 24 March 2004)
targeted killing of [PFLP] general secretary Abu Ali Mustafa ... was the
direct motivation for the decision to go after
(Uzi Benziman, 26 March 2004)
is more expert than Israelis at emotional extortion. That's why every
condemnation of the killing of Palestinian children, even by friends, is
immediately interpreted as an expression of
(Ze'ev (Zeev) Sternhell, 2 April 2004)
British Government has made it repeatedly clear that so-called "targeted
assassinations" of this kind are unlawful, unjustified and
(Jack Straw, 17 April 2004)
is somebody's Jew. And today the Palestinians are the Jews of the
(Primo Levi, 1982)
because Bush is for it [Sharon's unilateral plan] doesn't mean we have to
be against it ... As long as it is good for the security of Israel and
helps bring down the level of violence, then Kerry is for
(Nathan Guttman, 25 April 2004)
believe that when Jews behave and act like Nazis, they should be compared
to Nazis. This wouldn't be a sweeping condemnation of Jews, but rather a
rejection of evil actions, behaviour and
(Mahmud Nammura, 29 April 2004)
dealing with the Palestinians, Israel stops acting as a law-abiding
country. That is the crux of the matter."
(Ada Ravon, 22 February 2004)
have a 100 percent record - not a 99, a 100 percent record - of sustaining
the special relationship and friendship that we have with
(John Kerry, 19 April 2004)
Americans do not understand the first thing about the Middle East and the
Arabs. ... Israel is now reaping the benefits of this ignorance. But the
benevolent hour is waning."
(Aluf Benn, 13 May 2004)
must ... release the only reserves of land [in the Gaza Strip, one of the
most crowded places on the planet], which are in Israeli
(Ze'ev Schiff, 21 May 2004)
residents of Lod must be expelled quickly, without classifying them
according to age ... implement immediately."
(Yitzhak Rabin, 12 July 1948)
mother should know that, however cute their son was before he went into
the army, he will emerge very different after three years - not knowing
right from wrong."
(Various Israeli soliders, 24 June 2004)
honour of Jews throughout the world demands the renunciation of political
(Sir Isaac Isaacs, 1946)
the past 20 years I've learned there's a quick way of figuring just how
badly Israel is behaving. There's a brisk uptick in the number of articles
here accusing "the left" of anti-Semitism."
(Alexander Cockburn, 16 May 2002)
separation fence is marketed to the Israeli public as a reasonable
security measure meant to separate Palestinians from Israelis; in reality,
the only separation it offers is between Palestinians and their
(Oren Medicks, 30 May 2003)
anti-Semites will become our most loyal friends, the anti-Semites nations
will become our allies."
(Theodore Herzl, 1901)
we thought that a village was harbouring rebels, we´d go there and mark
one of the large houses. Then, if an incident was traced to that village,
we´d blow up the house we´d marked."
(Hugh Foot, uncertain date after 1938)
was also established under Israel's aegis and with its
(Reuven Pedatzur, 16 August 2004)
question is whether the ultra-Orthodox public in Israel, including its
leaders and its spokesmen, is prepared to rid itself entirely of the view
that non-Jews are not really human beings."
(Alexander Yakobson, 16 August 2004)
method that had been used ... to bring coercion and duress on other
nations in the General Assembly bordered closely on
(James Forrestal, before May 1949)
a few acknowledged that the father's story of return, redemption and
liberation was also a story of conquest, displacement, oppression and
(Yaron Ezrahi, December 1997)
who doesn't believe in a Jewish majority is not a Zionist - at least not
according to the accepted Israeli definition of
(Tom Segev, 20 August 2004)
had my ups and downs during four years as prisoner of war in Germany, but
the Germans never treated me as harshly as the Israelis are treating the
Arabs of Gaza Strip, the majority of whom are women and
(Michael Adams, 26 January 1968)
I go into churches in the 4th District, there are only two countries I
pray for: Israel and the United States."
(Robert Aderholt, 5 September 2004)
lives come first."
(Rabbi Akiba (Akiva) ben Joseph, uttered around AD 132, but cited as justification for killing Palestinian civilians by Zionist rabbis in 2004)
we are too sensitive about all forms of
(Reuven Rivlin, 7 September 2004)
good is freedom of speech if we don't use
(Juan Cole, 9 September 2004)
is in essence the Zionism of transfer. The transfer of the Jewish nation
from the diaspora to Zion and the transfer of the Arabs [out of all of
(Rehavam ('Gandhi') Ze'evi, before 2001)
I discover that my freedom comes at the expense of the Palestinians in
Jenin, I can't accept it. I don't want freedom at someone else's
(Tali Fahima, 17 September 2004)
executed Bernadotte because he ...endangered the status of Jerusalem by
his declared intention of turning her into an international
(Yehoshua Zeitler, some date after 1948)
say give Falluja 48 hours notice. Every civilian must leave because we are
turning Falluja into a free-fire zone to eliminate the people that are
engaged in terror. After that I would use the 500-pound
(Ed Koch, 28 September 2004)
our country there is room only for the Jews. We shall say to the Arabs:
Get out! If they don't agree, if they resist, we shall drive them out by
(Ben-Zion Dinur, 1972)
court decision to free Yehoshua Elitzur after killing Sael Jabara means
that] it is possible to kill a Palestinian and then go home to
(Ahmed Tibi, 30 September 2004)
we terrorists for resisting when they come and destroy our homes and kill
us? They say it is to stop the Qassams. How many rockets have they fired
at our homes?"
(Palestinian resistance, 1 October 2004)
says, 'I'm going to judge those who carve up the West Bank and Gaza Strip;
It's my land and keep your hands off it.'"
(Pat Robertson, 5 October 2004)
significance of our disengagement plan is the freezing of the peace
process. It supplies the formaldehyde necessary so there is no political
process with the Palestinians."
(Dov Weisglass, 6 October 2004)
just creates death, destruction and rage. When the army went into Beit
Hanoun, it created many more suicide
(Raji Sourani, 8 October 2004)
are deluding themselves if they believe that a "one state, one
reservation" solution can be repackaged and sold to the Palestinians as a
"two state solution"."
(Michael Tarazi, 20 October 2004)
is Israeli military tactics that the US now apes in places like Falluja
(Simon Tisdall, 20 October 2004)
we have settled the land, all the Arabs will be able to do about it will
be to scurry around like drugged cockroaches in a
(Rafael ('Raful') Eitan, 14 April 1983)
have to do everything to make [Palestinians] so miserable they will
(Rafael ('Raful') Eitan, 1980)
Phalange [Israel's Christian allies in Lebanon] will organize tiny little
houses for the Palestinians"
(Rafael ('Raful') Eitan, September 1982)
a pleasure to see how the Arabs are killing one
(Rafael ('Raful') Eitan, some date before the mid 1980s)
punish parents for their sons' deeds works well with
(Rafael ('Raful') Eitan, some date before the mid 1980s)
no circumstances must we touch land belonging to fellahs or worked by
them. Only if a fellah leaves his place of settlement, should we offer to
buy his land, at an appropriate price."
(David Ben-Gurion, 1920)
assets of the Jewish National Home must be created exclusively through our
own work, for only the product of the Hebrew labor can serve as the
(David Ben-Gurion, some date before 1948)
must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the
cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab
(David Ben-Gurion, May 1948)
it could happen in the country of Kant and Beethoven, it can happen
everywhere. If we don't defend democracy, democracy will not defend
(Aharon Barak, some date before 2004)
Arabs are worms, everywhere they are worms. Under the ground, above the
ground, and everywhere else."
(Yehiel Hazan, 13 December 2004)
him [Moshe Ya'alon], in fact, it [the Al-Aqsa Intifada] is the second half
(Amir Oren, 17 November 2000)
Israelis argue that the Arabs will never receive all the rights they
deserve as long as they do not serve in the IDF. The Druze in Isfiya and
in Daliat al-Carmel serve in the IDF and they don't get their
(Nimr Nimr, Spring 2004)
is an invented tradition, and they accept it. It happened to the Druze
just like it happened to many other minorities in the
(Kais M. Firro, 23 December 2004)
Israeli Arabs are a fifth column] that sucks on the udders of the
(Raphael (Rafi) Israeli, 2002)
Huwara checkpoint the soldiers are going up and down with a mega-phone
saying "vote for Abu Mazin and then you won't have any
(Anne Gwynne, 5 January 2005)
population of Palestine was basically composed of Moslem and Christian
Palestinian Arabs. The Palestinians had lived in the country since the
dawn of history. They did not come to Palestine with the Moslem Arab
invasion of the seventh century as is sometimes erroneously thought. They
are the earliest and the original inhabitants of Palestine. The
Palestinians of today are the descendants of the Canaanites, the
Philistines, and the other early tribes which inhabited the country.
Professor Maxime Rodinson points out that the Arab population of Palestine
was native in all senses of that word. There were infusions of other
racial elements into the Palestinian stock, mainly from the Greeks, the
Romans, the Moslem Arabs and the Crusaders. But this Palestinian stock,
which comprises both Moslems and Christians, continued to constitute the
main element of the population until the majority of the original
inhabitants of Palestine were displaced by the Israelis in
(Henry Cattan, 1973)
believe it was the intention of the Zionists, right from the beginning, to
dispossess the Palestinians from their homes, and I believe the British
Government was aware of this."
(Arnold J. Toynbee, 22 May 1971)
last thing on earth that interested the Zionist leaders was humanitarian
work, saving victims and refugees."
(Moshe Menuhin, 1965)
maintain the status quo will not do. We have to set up a dynamic state
bent upon expansion."
(David Ben-Gurion, 1954)
must do everything to ensure they [the Palestinian refugees] never do
(David Ben-Gurion, 18 July 1948)
the American Declaration of Independence for instance. It contains no
mention of the territorial limits. We are not obliged to state the limits
of our State."
(David Ben-Gurion, 14 May 1948)
oppose the lachrymose conception of Jewish history that treats Judaism as
a sheer succession of miseries and
(Salo Wittmayer Baron, before 1985)
all, we Jews are also interested, for example, that fundamentalist Islam's
plans to destroy us be described in Nazi terms, as they should be, to
elicit the necessary horrified response."
(Yair Sheleg, 29 April 2003)
have no interest in] your state of the Judenrats and
(Rudolf Vrba, some date after 1987)
know for sure real freedom has dawned in Iraq when Baghdad orders U.S.
troops out, raises oil prices, rebuilds its armed forces, and renews
support for the Palestinian cause."
(Eric Margolis, 30 January 2005)
in the course of many years, they [the Jews] become a majority in the
country they virtually would take it over."
(Winston S. Churchill, 22 June 1921)
am looking after the Jewish majority. the majority in Jerusalem. That is
why we are here, to take care of that."
(Teddy Kollek, 24 January 1982)
we entertain great respect for Hitler. Hitler has saved Germany. Without
him, it would have perished four years ago. And we would have gone along
with Hitler if he had only given up his
(follower of Jabotinsky, 31 May 1932)
the American declaration of Independence. It contains no mention of
territorial limits. We are not obliged to fix the limits of the
(Moshe Dayan, 10 August 1967)
family arrived in Morocco before Islam. So I am not a stranger; I am not a
Jew serving strangers ... so I come out of this more determined, and I
don't want anyone to take away my Morocco."
(André Azoulay, October 2003)
am a black South African, and if I were to change the names, a description
of what is happening in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank could describe
events in South Africa."
(Desmond Tutu, 1989)
the attempt to escape anti-Semitism, we built a colonialist reality in the
Promised Land that negates the humanity of the
(Lev Greenberg, 9 February 2005)
kick you [the IDF] out of here like we did in
(Itamar settlers, 11 February 2005)
Green Line is not a border line; the `border' can take on a different
shape, changes can be made."
(Avraham Halleli, 17 February 2005)
is] the Sayeret Matkal [an elite IDF commando unit] of the JNF in the
realm of land purchase."
(Alexandre (Sandy) Kedar, 17 February 2005)
progress is made toward peace, settlement activity in the occupied
territories must end."
(George W. Bush, 26 February 2003)
wish all of Gaza would fall into the sea. ... since that won't happen, a
solution must be found for the problem"
(Yitzhak Rabin, 2 September 1992)
the northern [Catholic] population want to be in the south, well why don't
they move over there? After all, there was a big movement of population in
Ireland, wasn't there?"
(Margaret Thatcher, 1985)
there is no fear that IDF officers will be judged for war crimes, because
[the Court] does not have authority to judge a citizen from a state that
did not sign the Convention."
(Penina (Pnina) Sharvit-Baruch, 8 March 2005)
established 'legal' settlements in 'Judea and Samaria' on 'state lands'
(in addition to assistance, both in deed and in misdeed, to the outright
theft of private land), on the basis of Ottoman
(Akiva Eldar, 14 March 2005)
will] take no action, in my capacity as Chief of the Executive Branch of
this Government, which might prove hostile to the Arab
(Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 5 April 1945)
other words, the Israelis once again expect the occupied to protect the
occupier. In exchange, they have made extremely vague and partial
(Amira Hass, 23 March 2005)
he [Vanunu] is charged with an attempt to leave Israel's borders, because
he tried to attend a Christmas mass in
(Yossi Melman, 23 March 2005)
combine my Arab nationality, my Christianity, my Muslim culture and
(George Habash, some date before 2005)
is the time for Israel to make a decision. We are not going anywhere. In
the end, if this process does not advance, we will go back to the
(Nasser Yussef (Yousef), 22 March 2005)
Jamal ... shows that the State of Israel was actually responsible for
preventing the emergence of civic patriotism among the Arab
(Yoram Peri, 25 March 2005)
no need to hide behind security arguments [when justifying this law
preventing Palestinian spouses of Israelis from becoming Israeli citizens]
... There is a need for the existence of a Jewish
(Ariel (Arik) Sharon, 4 April 2005)
[Zionists] are regarded as a threat to Arab national life. [Please stay
(Yitzhak LaorMenahem Daniel, 1922)
the whole, Islamic tolerance has enabled Baghdadi Jews to flourish as a
centre of learning and commerce. They and their kind would like to
(writer in Jewish Chronicle in 1949, 1949)
might even get the idea that Israel is conducting negotiations about the
refugee problem - a subject, as is known, that is reserved for the final
status agreement, may it rest in peace."
(Akiva Eldar, 11 April 2005)
Jerusalem's fans screaming their 'death to Arabs' slogans are less
dangerous than Eiland and Gavison."
(Yitzhak Laor, 7 April 2005)
entire issue of the Strip's border with Egypt is being discussed by Israel
and Egypt - without the Palestinians."
(Danny Rubinstein, 11 April 2005)
you have no basis for an argument, abuse the
(Marcus Tullius Cicero, some date before 43 BC.)
the Palestinian rebel courts during the Great Revolt:] their justice and
common sense does not appear to me to be inferior and their expedition is
demonstrably superior to that of H.M.G."
(Elliot David Forster, some date in 1936-39)
Yifrag is one of them [the settlers in Netzarim in the Gaza Strip]. He
grows organic cherry tomatoes for export to Marks &
(Chris McGreal, 30 April 2005)
buy dozens of dunams from an Arab is permitted but to sell, God forbid,
one Jewish dunam to an Arab is prohibited."
(David Hacohen, 15 November 1969)
by the undercover forces is part of the way in which they operate in such
instances [peaceful Palestinian demonstrations which the IDF wishes to
(Lieutenant-Colonel Tzahi, 28 April 2005)
Colonel Tzahi] . added that the undercover forces had only started
throwing stones after Palestinian youths had adopted such tactics.
'Stone-throwing by the undercover forces is part of the way in which they
operate in such instances,' the sources
(Arnon Regular, 29 April 2005)
taboo has been shattered at last. From now on it will be acceptable to
compare Israel's apartheid system to its South African
(Omar Barghouti, 12 May 2005)
still need this truth today, the truth of the power of war, or at least we
need to accept that war is inescapable, because without this, the life of
the individual has no purpose."
(Yitzhak Shamir, some date before 1996)
do not admit. that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of
America, or the black people of Australia. by the fact that a stronger
race, a higher grade race. has come in and taken its
(Winston S. Churchill, 1937)
other words, AP had video footage of an Israeli soldier specifically and
intentionally shooting a young Palestinian boy who was not attacking them,
and they erased it. I don't know how often they do
(Alison Weir, July 2005)
reinforce that, as Jews in the media, you have responsibly to help Israel.
This is not reporting; this is PR. I am Zionist, but it doesn't mean you
can't be critical of what happens in Israel."
(Deborah Meyers, November 2001)
will be the first to admit that Israeli academic institutions are part and
parcel of the oppressive Israeli state that has . committed grave crimes
against the Palestinian people."
(Baruch Kimmerling, 26 April 2005)
and Samaria [West Bank] and the Gaza area are lands seized during warfare,
and are not part of Israel."
(High Court of Justice (Bagatz), 8 June 2005)
have to differentiate between Israelis [who are demonstrating against the
fence]and Palestinians [who are doing the same]. Where there are Israelis,
you don't fire rubber [coated bullets]."
(Tzachi Segev, 20 May 2005)
1967 we have been brutal conquerors, occupiers, suppressing another
(Haim (Chaim/Hayim) Yavin, May 2005)
Israel there is strong self-censorship on behalf of the media, which is
much more dangerous than any government or military
(Gideon Levy, June 2005)
half-truths and sometimes even lies. European citizens know better what is
happening in the Palestinian territories than most Israelis who live only
a few kilometres away."
(Gideon Levy, June 2005)
anything changes in the Israeli media's coverage of the territories, we
will have to go through much more blood and many more
(Gideon Levy, June 2005)
can be little doubt that if Palestine were overrun by the Nazis nothing
less than complete annihilation would be the lot of the Jews of this
(Moshe Shertok, 17 April 1942)
is a good foundation for a discussion of the question of whether there
ever was a 'true Zionism' that did not dispossess the Arabs of this
(Tom Segev, 27 May 2005)
fence was born, first and foremost, to prevent them from continuing to
murder us ... [It] also makes [Jerusalem] more
(Haim Ramon, 11 July 2005)
contrary types of soul exist, a non-Jewish soul comes from three satanic
spheres, while the Jewish soul stems from
(Menachem Mendel Schneerson, 1965)
all you can to immediately and quickly purge the conquered territories of
all hostile elements in accordance with the orders issued. The residents
should be helped to leave the areas that have been
(Moshe Carmel, 31 October 1948)
of them [the Palestinians on the West Bank] can be driven out. If the
numbers were smaller it would be easier, but the problem can be solved in
principle. It would not be a humane move, but war in general is not a
(Yitzhak Rabin, a week before he was appointed GOC Northern Command in 1956)
war cannot end without an action against the Syrians. We must either fight
against them or receive an immediate surrender as a clear and open
admission of defeat of the policy of 'popular war of
(Uri Avnery, June 1967)
in fact, is no different than racist South Africa as long as it presents
itself as Jewish state instead of a state of all its
(Shulamit Aloni, July 2005)
say that Arik Sharon doesn't tell the truth is about as necessary as
saying the sun rises every day."
(Yechiel Kadishai, 1991)
need for this land as many Jews as it is possible economically to absorb,
but not in order to establish a majority against a
(Martin Buber, 1946)
terror utilized by Israel in the territories is worse than Palestinian
(Shulamit Aloni, July 2005)
next massacre is brewing almost openly. .. it is clear to everyone that
the [right-wing] rioters are attempting to ignite a fire as the evacuation
of settlements approaches"
(Haaretz editorial writer, 28 March 2005)
am not certain of the legal position, but what should be done - do it [the
expulsion of the residents of the Moroccan Quarter in the Old City of
Jerusalem] quickly, and let the God of Israel be with
(Ya'akov (Ya'acov) Shimshon Shapira, June 1967)
region is] a country without a nation [which should be matched to] a
nation without a country ... Is there such a thing? To be sure there is,
The ancient and rightful lords of the soil, the
(Lord Shaftesbury, 30 July 1853)
is a country without a people; the Jews are a people without a country.
The regeneration of the soil would bring the regeneration of the
(Israel Zangwill, 1901)
James McDonald concluded his term as the first ambassador to Israel, a
cynic remarked that a diplomat less openly friendly to Zionism might prove
more advantageous to Israel."
(Marie Syrkin, 10 November 1951)
feeling of solitude which resulted from the threat of extermination was
one of the 'secrets' of our victory, and we must imprint it in our
memories as a consideration in our decisions in the
(Yitzhak Tabenkin, 1967)
is something that determines the character of the nation. Jews too have
committed Nazi acts."
(Aharon Zisling, December 1948)
[Benny Morris ]went off his rocker, and expressed racist views. That
undermines him as a scholar."
(Avi Shlaim, August 2005)
admiration for Israeli achievement is combined] with the strongest
condemnation of her crime against the original Arab population and the
campaign of lies she has waged ever since."
(Herbert Bernard Levin, 1955)
Palestine issue is partly a colour issue [in which] an Indian nationalist,
for example, would probably side with the
(George Orwell, 1945)
of the hallmarks of Ben-Gurion's greatness was that the man knew what to
say and what not to say in certain circumstances; what is allowed to be
recorded on paper and what is preferable to convey orally or in
(Benny Morris, 9 May 1989)
the absence of the European Jews, the state of Israel had to bring in Jews
from Arab countries. Ben Gurion compared them with the Africans who were
brought in as slaves to America."
(Tom Segev, April 1998)
Jews of Europe were] the leading candidates for citizenship in the State
(David Ben-Gurion, 1949)
am] horrified [to read in the newspaper that it is planned to bring to
Israel the Falashas of Ethiopia]. I hope that this report is
(Y. Meir, 8 June 1949)
more people demand that some rabbi be put on trial for saying harsh things
against the prime minister than a settler who has shot a
(Gideon Levy, 14 August 2005)
not willing to accept a single Arab, and not only an Arab but any gentile.
I want the State of Israel to be entirely Jewish, the descendants of
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."
(Eliyahu (Eliahu) Lulu (Hacarmeli), 1)
the Israeli government is not more forthcoming on the refugee issue] the
US Govt. will regretfully be forced to the conclusion that a revision of
its attitude toward Israel has become
(Harry S. Truman, April 1949)
allegiance is not to the state of Israel, a fact which makes her a source
of danger. This reinforces the need to continue her prison
(Devora (Dvora) Berliner, 28 July 2005)
is unjust to speak of such an offer of land in Transjordania as
expatriation of the Arabs [of Palestine], as Transjordania is distinctly
(Felix Warburg, November 1930)
of the broadcasts [about the August 2005 removal of settlers from the Gaza
Strip] were captives of the emotional manipulation created by the
(Tom Segev, 18 August 2005)
do not think Nasser wanted war. The two divisions he sent to The Sinai
would not have been sufficient to launch an offensive war. He knew it and
we knew it."
(Yitzhak Rabin, 28 February 1968)
June, 1967, we again had a choice. The Egyptian army concentrations in the
Sinai did not prove that Nasser was really about to attack us. We must be
honest with ourselves. We decided to attack
(Menachem Begin, 8 August 1982)
Golani argues convincingly that prior to the attack of June 1967, the
Israeli High Command organized a 'silent' putsch, blocked up all political
solutions for the crisis and launched the war in order to
(Shraga Elam, 14 February 2003)
really think this is the forefront of Zionism today, realising that there
is a land war going on. And whoever wins that land war, Jews or Arabs, is
going to be able to take control of the eastern side of the
(Uri Bank, April 2005)
we are going to sign a peace treaty between Jewish Israel and the
(Yitzhak Rabin, September 1993)
must be said, to the credit of the Turks, that their rulers behaved toward
the conquered with a degree of tolerance and generosity which is
unparalleled in the history of the Christian peoples of the
(David Ben-Gurion, 1918)
Pasha [the Turkish military ruler in World War I Palestine] planned from
the outset to destroy the entire Hebrew settlement in Eretz Yisrael,
exactly as they did the Armenians in Armenia"
(David Ben-Gurion, 1919)
reject attempts to create a similarity between the Holocaust and the
Armenian allegations. Nothing similar to the Holocaust occurred. It is a
tragedy what the Armenians went through, but not a
(Shimon Peres (Perez), April 2001)